Thursday, March 19, 2009

We have tickets!

We have a visa interview date of April 2nd. We bought plane tickets (3/28-4/6). Here's hoping that the needed approval is there by then! Things definitely started moving faster-- Kevin called the State Rep's office and they agreed to help us out. I talked to a man at the USCIS office on Tues AM-he told me that it could take a month for them to process the papers and then 2 weeks at the NVC. I tried to calmly explain why we would love to have that happen sooner. Kevin called me 3 hrs later and said my "new best friend" at Buyer's office had called them and the approval was on it's way to the NVC-- our tax dollars at work -- yeah!!! From the NVC it should move to the American Embassy in Ethiopia. All paperwork is supposed to be there 1 week before the visa apt(by next Thurs).

This last month of the process has been an absolute roller coaster! Yet through this time God has shown himself to us more clearly than ever before. One way has been through the Bible study that I am in. We have been studying Moses and the Israelites all year. It is just so applicable to my life (and I'm sure yours too). God has a plan for their lives to be used for his glory but the journey was not always what they were expecting. In those times, when they chose to trust, God he cared for them and provided more than they could have dreamed. So often though, they chose not to trust. They chose to doubt, complain, and rebel-- this always made things so much harder and caused them to miss the blessings God had for them. I feel like I am much more understanding of the Israelites now than I was at the beginning of the year. I used to think-- how could they continue to doubt after God had shown them his power? I now look at my life and know that without totally relying on his grace every day I can and will do the same thing!

So for today, I'm praising God for a peace that truly passes all understanding and for family and friends that are just awesome!

6 comments:

Ponz, Lil Ponz, Real Lil Ponz and Baby Ponz said...

Check out our blog for a couple of last minute items to take with you on your journey to pick up your son...YAY! We are praying for you guys and the last minute things that need to happen.

Erin said...

Hooray!!! I wish we lived in the same state so your new best friend could help us out in the future too! :) So excited for you guys. And I loved what you shared about your study...I've identified a lot with many of those OT Bible stories as well in the past couple of years. God is pretty amazing, isn't HE?! Timeless truths...

Linda said...

I enjoyed reading all of the recent posts that I have missed since we are gone and I'm not checking things as often. Wow- lots of exciting things happening! Praying for you!

Emily said...

I'm so excited for you guys! I can't wait to meet Taye:) I'm so glad we've had BSF to help us through this process...I don't know where I'd be without it! Always praying for you all!

L, Ann and boys said...

whoooohoooo! Tickets! I sent two things of formula and a tube of A&D home with my parents yesterday. I think they will bring/leave it at church this Sunday. It's in a normal looking GAP bag (plastic drawstring and navy blue).

Luke and I had a date night at the Ethiopian place on 38th street you told us about. It was super fun. =o) Thanks for the recommendation. =o)

thinking/praying for you guys,

Ann

Janell said...

Oh Laura, I'm so excited for you guys. It's getting so close! I can't wait. Loved the analogy of Moses and the Israelites. I'm reading the OT right now and find so many similarities and personal application these days! I'm loving it.